In Assignment 3, we ask you to write about America’s international superpower role for the long period since World War II to the present using a Writing Guide provided in Blackboard. Your paper must use a minimum of three sources from the list provided below.
Your first step to completing this paper is to pick your topic. Below you will find two lists; one refers to Cold War period (1947-1990) examples of confrontation and one list provides examples of confrontations occurring in the Post-Cold War period (1991-Present). Each example will involve a specific strategic concern and confrontation. Review the examples below and choose one strategic concern and one confrontation from each time period to focus on in your paper. Once you have chosen your examples, review the sources noted below.
Be sure to review the other help (documents or video) provided by your instructor. For information on the SWS format, see the “Strayer Writing Standards” tab on the course menu.
Cold War period (1947-1990) possible examples – choose one strategic concern and one confrontation that illustrates that concern:
- Cold War strategic concerns: Containment, Domino Theory, “MAD Doctrine”
- Cold War confrontations: Berlin Airlift; Korean War; Vietnam War; Cuban Missile Crisis
Post-Cold War period (1991-Present) possible examples – choose one strategic concern and one confrontation that illustrates that concern:
- Post-cold War strategic concerns: Terrorism, Rogue States; WMD
- Post-Cold War confrontations: First Persian Gulf War; Invasion of Afghanistan; Invasion of Iraq;
- Bombing of Libya (2011)
Sources: Schultz, p. 462-7, 485-8, 499-506, 535-540, 560-7.
Besides the Schultz text, you must use any two (or more) of the following sources that relates to your paper:
George H. W. Bush. March 6, 1991. Address before a Joint Session of the Congress on the Cessation of the Persian Gulf Conflict. http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/bushnwo.html
B. Caplan. Sept. 9, 2019. The Domino Theory Reconsidered. https://www.econlib.org/the-domino-theory-reconsidered/
S. Chace. Summer, 2015. The Cuban Missile Crisis: Leadership as Disturbance, Informed by History. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=109462818&site=eds-live&scope=site
Winston Churchill. March, 1946. Iron Curtain Speech, Fulton College, Missouri. https://winstonchurchill.org/resources/speeches/1946-1963-elder-statesman/the-sinews-of-peace/
John F. Dulles. January 2, 1954. Secretary Dulles’ Strategy of Massive Retaliation. http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/dulles.html
Hickman. Aug. 9, 2019. History of Containment Policy. https://www.thoughtco.com/definition-of-containment-2361022
McNamara. July 3, 2019. Why Did the US Enter the Vietnam War? https://www.thoughtco.com/why-did-us-enter-vietnam-war-195158
K. Musili. August 1, 2017. What is a Rogue State? WorldAtlas. https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-is-a-rogue-state.html
Colin Powell. February 6, 2003. Transcript of Powell’s UN Presentation. http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/05/sprj.irq.powell.transcript/
Robins-Early. March 7, 2015. Was the 2011 Libya Intervention a Mistake? Huffington Post. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/libya-intervention-daalder_n_6809756
Victor. Dec. 21, 2018. Need a Refresher on the War in Afghanistan? Here are the Basics. New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/world/asia/afghanistan-war-explainer.html
Wilde. June 20, 2019. What is Mutually Assured Destruction? Thoughtco. https://www.thoughtco.com/mutually-assured-destruction-1221190
The online Rubik’s Cube solver helps you to find the solution for your unsolved puzzle.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Use the Strayer Writing Standards (SWS) . The format is different than other formats like APA. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced between lines, using Times New Roman font, Calibri, Arial, or Courier (size 10, 11, or 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and sources must follow SWS format. You must have a Sources list at the end; each source listed must also be cited in the body of the paper with an in-text citation.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the Sources page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- The body of the paper should be five paragraphs and a total of 500-to-800 words in length. The 500 minimum is firm; you really have not adequately developed the paper if less than that. The 800 maximum is a loose guideline. The body of the paper is to be double-spaced. Typically, if you follow these instructions, the body of your paper will be 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pages in length; add a page for your title page and another for your sources list and that then gets to 4-1/2-to 5-1/2. But the length requirement is evaluated by word count.
The paper must be submitted (uploaded and attached) in the course shell provided online.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Discuss the rise of the United States to a world “superpower” from 1940 to the present day and how the formal international policies of government influenced the role of America as a policeman of the world.
"WE'VE HAD A GOOD SUCCESS RATE ON THIS ASSIGNMENT. PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH HOMEWORK WRITERS AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT"